Wednesday 5 September 2012

Time is a Snail

Wow, look at me being all metaphorical! In all seriousness, it seems that the closer I get to leaving for Le Havre, the slower the days are going.

I'm a bit odd in that I plan obsessively weeks (sometimes months) in advance and yet I absolutely HATE waiting - whilst other people forget their exams as soon as they sit them, I'm like a cat on a hot tin roof until I get my results. The longer I have to wait in life, the more irritated I get and the year abroad is no exception. I'm not at all nervous, something I put down to the the idea of moving to a different country being so strange that I won't believe it until it happens.

In terms of what I can expect from the city, I've been getting slightly mixed messages. I've seen it described as being 'itself under contruction 'til December 2012' and currently 'a bit of an eyesore'. The Volcan Theatre, one of the places highly recommended to me, is apparently closed for work and unlikely to reopen during my stay. That said, I've also been promised lively markets, friendly local people, an interesting mixture of clubs and bars and a pretty good transport system so all is far from lost! I'm determined to make the most of my year, to say "Yes" to as many things as possible and to not waste a moment. Everyone I've spoken to so far has been fantastically friendly and I'm excited to meet my new colleagues and students.

Without so much as a trip to the Post Office to occupy my mind between now and leaving on the 15th, it's going to be quite the struggle to not go insane. (Yeah, yeah... 'What do you mean go insane?') Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment